October Blog Mandy Kennedy

 As a member/student of the Tulane Community, I've come to realize the value and the importance of volunteering by giving your time. Through volunteering it helps me grow as an individual who has acquired a purpose and to sustain a lifelong intrinsic and positive social impact. Volunteering allows you to gather knowledge, skills, and opportunities, you wouldn't have otherwise experienced. I know many times in my life, I have needed help, and I have been so grateful for anyone who gave me their time to help me succeed and that is why giving back is so instrumental in growing as a person. Additionally, it gives me a window of opportunity to acquire knowledge and life skills to grow as a student and introspectively as a human. It is advantageous in so many ways, to become an active member of the community, even if it changes one person's life, it is worth it. 

Moreover, the social benefits allow me to make new friends and network. As a student with ADHD, I sometimes find new surroundings, difficult, because I think people will not understand me, however, that has been quite the opposite, people embrace me because of my disability, not to define me as a girl with a disability.

Furthermore, the psychological benefits of community service and helping others help my psychological needs to reduce stress, anxiety, and loneliness. Graduate school is not an easy undertaking, but giving my time, helps me become in a better state of mind physically, psychologically, and emotionally. The community service association I am going to volunteer for is Habitat for Humanity, I have in the past, and it was paramount, in not only changing my life but also the fact I got to help others, whom I was so grateful to meet. Not only did it teach me patience, but it also taught me to be more appreciative, and it was overall such a pleasurable experience. So many people at Tulane have helped me, like Dr. Clarkson, Ms. Linda, and all the students who I have reached out to when I do not understand something or when school gets stressful, but volunteering helps me take a step back and realize all the open doors and great things in life, Tulane and Volunteering has offered me. I plan to contribute to being an active part of my community for life.  



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MANDY KENNEDY'S COMMUNITY SERVICE BLOG

December Blog Post